Department of Information Systems | School of Engineering | University of Minho
Researcher at the Algoritmi Research Centre, University of Minho, Portugal; Associate Professor at the Department of Information Systems, School of Engineering, University of Minho, Portugal.
- His research interests are in indoor positioning, mobile and context-aware computing, urban computing, human mobility analysis and simulation of wireless and mobile networks in urban contexts. His research activities are taking place within the ubicom@uminho research sub-group, which has been focusing in the creation of technologies for smart places.
- He has been a voting member of the IEEE 802.11 working group (Wireless Access Method and Physical Layer Specification) where he participated in the specification of the infrared physical layer.
- He leaded the Computer Communications and Pervasive Media Group of Centro Algoritmi since its creation and up to 2016.
- He is also a member of Scientific Committee of MAP-tele, the MAP PhD Program in Telecommunications, and played the role of its Director in 2008/2009, 2011/2012, 2014/2015, 2017/2018 and 2020/2021.
- In the past few years he participated in many research projects funded by national and European programs.
- He is the author of several scientific publications in conferences and journals, and the author of one patent in the area of computational geometry.
- Together with his colleagues, won the first prize on the off-site track of the EvAAL-ETRI Indoor Localization Competition (IPIN 2015 and 2017) and the second prize of the corresponding competition in 2016.
- He has been a voting member of the IEEE 802.11 working group where he participated in the specification of the infrared physical layer.
- He is chairing the Steering Committee of the International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation, and is a member of the ICL-GNSS conference Steering Committee. He is also a member of the IEEE and the Communications Society.